- 1987-1990 Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Botany, University of Georgia
- 1985-1987 NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physiology, Carlsberg Laboratory, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1985 Ph.D., Genetics, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 1977 M.S., Horticulture, Clemson University, Clemson, SC
- 1974 B.S., Horticulture, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
I have always been interested in metabolic pathways localized in organelles of photosynthetic organisms. I have studied the small subunit of Rubisco, the enzyme that catalyzes the first step in the Calvin cycle in photosynthesis, several enzymes of the chlorophyll biosynthetic pathway, and more recently the mitochondrial uncoupling protein in the green algae Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Although I do not conduct research in these fields, I am interested in bioethics and the global use of genetically modified plants. I am also the chair of the Institutional Biosafety Committee at UCCS and the administrator of the Master of Sciences program in Biology.
- Berry-Lowe, S.L., T.D. McKnight, D.M. Shah and R.B. Meagher (1982) The nucleotide sequence,expression and evolution of one member of a multigene family encoding the small subunit of Ribulose1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase in soybean. J.Mol. Appl. Genetics 1, 483-498
- Berry-Lowe, S.L. and R.B. Meagher (1985) Transcriptional regulation of a gene encoding the small subunit of Ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase in soybean tissue is linked to the phytochrome response. Molecular and Cellular Biology 5, 1910-1917.
- Berry-Lowe, S.L., B. Grimm, M.A. Smith and C.G. Kannangara (1992) Purification and characterization of glutamate semialdehyde aminotransferase from barley expressed in E.coli. Plant Physiol. 99, 1597-1603.
- M. K. Newell and S. L. Berry-Lowe, Patent 7105718 Issued 12 September 2006. Compositions and Methods for Regulating Metabolism in Plants
- M.K. Newell, S. L. Berry-Lowe, R. Tobin and O. Triplett, patent filed 6 October 2010, 'Compositions and methods for promoting fatty acid production in plants'.
- BIOL 1130/2500 Plant Biology 2500
- BIOL 1210 General Biology II: Introduction to the Cell
- BIOL 1200 General Biology I: Organismic Biology
- BIOL 2200 Economic Botany
- BIOL 3020 Cell Biology
- BIOL 3830 Genetics online (hybrid) and resident sections
- BIOL 3840/5440 Genetics Lab
- BIOL 4010 Senior Seminar
- BIOL 3230/4440 Plant Physiology
- BIOL 4810 Biochemistry I
- BIOL 4820 Biochemistry II
- BIOL/CHEM 4860 Biochemistry Lab
- BIOL/CHEM 4840/5840 Molecular Biology
- PGMT 3500 Turfgrass management