The Bachelor of Science in Health Care Science will prepare the graduate for professional practice in health related settings. The program includes a foundation in general education as well as a broad understanding of health care environments and delivery systems through the health science core curriculum.
The student will choose a track within the Health & Wellness Option. Use the links provided for specific track Curriculum and Model Degree Plan. The tracks offered include:
- Health & Wellness Promotion
- Pre-Professional - For students interested in Pre-Med, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Occupational Therapy, etc. - professions that require an advanced (at least Master's level) degree *Option not available after 2015-2016; see Exercise Science for options
- Senior Fitness Instructor
- Strength Conditioning & Training
Special Features of the Program:
- Students can choose a pace which best fits their needs. Full-time and part-time options are available.
- The program is structured for the adult learner. All Health Sciences (HSCI) core classes are offered as an online course at least once during the calendar year. Elective classes are also available online. Students who reside in the Colorado Springs area also have the option of taking the core and elective classes on campus. On campus classes are scheduled at times convenient for the working professional as well as the traditional students.
- The course of study integrates current knowledge in career-oriented curricula with advanced science and liberal arts education to prepare students for leadership roles in health related professions.
- The student, along with academic advisors, will structure a program which best meets the career goals of the student. There is flexibility within the program to individualize the curricula.
- Students may apply 40 credits from the accredited certificate program or allied health training as part of an Associate's Degree (e.g., radiation technology, dental hygiene, emergency medical technician, respiratory therapy, anesthesiologist assistant, surgical technology, diagnostic medical sonography, etc.) to the UCCS bachelor's degree.
- Students who have completed coursework at another higher education institution (community college, college, university) can have that coursework evaluated for transfer to UCCS to fulfill part of their course requirements for this degree.
- The course of study provides an opportunity to expand technical expertise along with advanced educational experiences. Skills in management, health promotion, critical thinking and communication are developed.
Health & Wellness Minor Option
The following department guidelines have been established for minor programs from the Health Care Sciences Department of Helen and Arthur E. Johnson Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.
- A minimum of 20 credit hours with grades of C- or better must be taken in a minor area, including a minimum of nine upper-division credit hours. Additionally, a cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be obtained overall ( Curriculum ).
- Minor requirements may not be taken pass/fail.
- Students will be allowed no more than 9 credit hours of transfer credit towards a minor.
- Course work applied towards a minor may also be applied towards general education requirements.
- Pre-requisites may be required for some courses listed for the minor but the pre-requisite courses may not necessarily count toward minor hours.
- A maximum of 30 non-LAS hours is allowed for any LAS major.
How to Apply:
- Complete the online Freshman or Transfer Student Application form
- Follow the instructions for completing the form and ensure that all required documents are delivered by the deadline dates published in the Schedule of Courses.
As soon as possible after the Office of Admissions and Records receives all required credentials, students will be notified of their admission status. If eligible, the student will receive notification of eligibility for admission. Admission eligibility to the University of Colorado does not constitute a guarantee of enrollment in any specific course or program.
Helen and Arthur E. Johnson Beth-El College of Nursing & Health Sciences
University of Colorado Colorado Springs
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Admissions Phone: 719-255-3084 or 1-800-990-8227 extension 3084
Admissions E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2002-2017, Helen and Arthur E. Johnson Beth-El College of Nursing & Health Sciences
University of Colorado Colorado Springs
Last Updated: January 25, 2017