How to Create a Column Chart
1. Open a worksheet
2. Type Labels and Percentages:
a. for 1 Variable Chart (common to type labels in column "A" with corresponding
b. for Bivariate Chart (common to place Dependent Variable Labels in column "A" and
place Independent Variable Labels in Column "B", "C", etc. depending on number of
3. Place the cursor on the first label "strongly disagree", left click and drag down to "strongly
agree" and over to include all column "B"
4. Click "Graph" Icon on the tool bar
5. Chart Wizard should appear:
a. Step 1: Choose your chart / graph
b. Step 2: Choose "Column"
c. Step 3: Add Chart Title here or you could place above chart once you copy and paste
i. Y Axis = type "Percentages"
ii. LEGEND = Unclick "Show Legend" (Leave with Bivariate Chart)
iii. DATA LABELS = Click "VALUES", this places the percentages above
d. Step 4: Place chart "As Object In", then click Finish
6. Chart should appear on your Worksheet. You can Left Click (hold down) and drag the chart
where you want it - mainly so it does not cover up your data.
7. Right Click Y Axis -
a. FORMAT AXIS
c. MAX = 100; MAJOR UNIT = 20 (or something that will not make scale appear too
8. Gray Background to White
a. Right Click, go to FORMAT PLOT AREA
b. Area = Automatic
9. Colored Bars to Black
a. Rt. Click Bars, go to FORMAT DATA SERIES
b. Area = Black
c. Bivariate charts - if using Black & White printer, change one set to black and other to
white or BW pattern.
10. Expand / Decrease Chart
a. Click Chart Border, go to one of the Black Squares, drag
11. If you don't like the Gridlines, click on one and clear; Can Change Fonts as well - what ever
works best for you.
12. Copy / Paste into Word
a. Rt. Click in Chart area, COPY
b. Open Word, PASTE