Event Planning FAQ
- Can the Office of University Events help me plan my event?
- How do I reserve a room for my event?
- How do I order catering?
- What if I want to use a different caterer for my event?
- Where should my guests park?
- What if I need special sound equipment or video equipment for my event?
- Can I serve alcohol at my event?
- I want to support the UCCS commitment to sustainability. How can I host a more sustainable event?
1. Can the Office of University Events help me plan my event?
The Office of University Events can offer you general guidance in regard to planning your event, but we cannot plan your event for you. However, to help you plan the best event possible, we have created the following resources that should help answer many of your questions:
If you have additional questions or concerns that are not addressed in the above documents, please feel free to contact Megan Gallegos at x3183 or email@example.com.
2. How do I reserve a room for my event?
To reserve a room for your event, use the contact list below.
- Classroom Space:
DeShaun Bennett, x3839, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dwire Hall Atrium and Conference Rooms:
College of Business Dean's Office, x3113
- Dwire Hall 204 (the Haehn Community Room):
Michelle Erlacher, x3176, email@example.com
- Main Hall Conference Rooms:
Office of the Chancellor, x3436
- University Center, the Lodge and Breckenridge:
Megann Powell, x3417, firstname.lastname@example.org
If the location you are seeking is not included on the above list, contact Jennifer Hane at x3180 or email@example.com.
3. How do I order catering?
To order catering through Sodexho, our on-campus caterer, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks before your event. Note that if you will be hosting a particularly large or complicated event, at least one month’s notice is preferred.
When you draft your email order, make sure to include the following information:
- Name of Your Event
- Date and Time of Your Event
- Location of Your Event
- Estimated Number of Attendees
- What You Want to Order (Online Menu)
- Any additional special requirements that you have for your event
When ordering, also make sure to let catering know if you will require any linens (including skirting for buffet or check in tables) for your event.
Note that if you are unsure how much food to order or what type of food to order, our catering staff will be happy to assist you based on the nature of your event and your budget.
4. What if I want to use a different caterer for my event?
Since UCCS has a catering contract with Sodexho, Sodexho retains a right of first refusal for any event using University funds for catering on campus, but the University may initiate competitive, random bidding for any such event if the University’s catering liaison (Susan Szpyrka), in consultation with the University’s food service advisory committee, determines that Sodexho’s quality, service and/or prices are not competitive.
If you feel that you have a bid that is not competitive, please send Susan Szpyrka the detailed information by e-mail. She will consult with the team and with Sodexho to see if a) Sodexho can match or come close to the bid or other options are open or, b) After consultation with Sodexho, determine if it is appropriate for you to be able to purchase from another provider.
5. Where should my guests park?
In many cases, parking arrangements can make or break your event, so we highly encourage you to work with Public Safety well in advance to determine where and how your guests will park.
For your convenience, we have created a PDF of Driving Directions and Parking Instructions for all lots and entrances on campus that you can cut and paste into your invitations, websites, fliers, etc.
6. What if I need special sound equipment or video equipment for my event?
If you think you will require special sound equipment or video equipment, we recommend that you contact Media Services at (719) 255-3802 or (719) 255-3280.
Media Services should be able to help you assess your needs and plan accordingly.
7. Can I serve alcohol at my event?
If you are interested in serving alcohol at your event, please contact Susan Szpyrka for more information.
8. I want to support the UCCS commitment to sustainability. How can I host a more sustainable event?
There are some simple things you can do to make your special event more earth-friendly. From eliminating disposable plates and utensils to making sure recycle bins are available, there are many ways you can make a difference.
You can view general guidelines for hosting a sustainable event online through the Environmental Protection Agency. In addition, we’ve listed just a few of these guidelines in our Event Planning Checklist.