The Office of Sustainability engages in a number of activities to advance sustainability, including educating the campus and the community about sustainable practices, providing consultation to administration, faculty and staff on sustainability issues, and helping to make campus operations more sustainable to reduce our carbon footprint and impact on the planet.
• Members of the UCCS Sustainability Office lead campus tours that highlight sustainability initiatives. Highlights include a focus on LEED certification and high performance buildings, including the Recreation Center and Science & Engineering buildings, introduction to our single-stream recycling program, and a visit to our organic garden. Please call us at 255-3089 so that we can design a tour that meets the needs of your group.
• Work with faculty, staff, and students to integrate sustainable leadership, curriculum, and operations to achieve the goals of the UCCS 2007 Sustainability Strategic Plan.
• Project management of $1.3 million Energy Performance Bond to identify and direct energy and water conservation projects on the campus.
• Assist in directing the update of the 2006-7 Facilities Strategic Plan. This plan, which includes designing a new section of campus (more than 400 acres) and incorporating 20,000 more students, is based on sustainable design principles including LEED for Neighborhood Development.
• Create or support campus-wide sustainability committees to address energy management, landscape design, waste and recycling programs, transportation and green procurement.
• Participate on the design committee of several construction projects to achieve higher performance buildings. Develop educational materials such as green touchscreen kiosks and green tours for our LEED certified buildings, the Recreation Center and the Science & Engineering Building.
• Support student interest and campaigns in sustainability by working with student groups such as Students for Environmental Awareness and Sustainability (SEAS).
• Provide opportunities for students to conduct research and further their knowledge in the field of sustainability.
• Provide sustainability presentations in classes in all disciplines on the campus.