Sustainability is a personal, community and global issue -- it takes all of us to create a sustainable world. Below are just a few things that you can do to make your world, our planet, more sustainable.
• Turn off lights, computers, monitors, and other equipment when not in use
• Dress appropriately for the weather in summer and winter so that building thermostats can be adjusted to conserve energy
• Minimize use of personal heaters, coffee pots, refrigerators, and other electrical devices
• Use daylighting or tasklighting when possible
• Use compact flourescent light bulbs instead of incandescents
About 87% of the UCCS community travels to campus in single-occupancy vehicles. We can reduce our emissions, and our contribution to global climate change by how we get to campus. Consider transport by:
Reduce: Minimize consumption and therefore waste wherever possible -- acquire it only if you require it!
Action: Bring a reusable water bottle and coffee mug
Reuse: Reuse materials and goods whenever possible; for example, most of the furniture on campus is from corporations and other organizations that no longer need it.
Action: Purchase used clothing or products made from recycled materials
Recycle: Much waste can be recycled; UCCS has implemented a single-stream recycling program to make it as easy as possible to recycle on campus.
Action: Make a pledge to recycle as much as possible and keep materials out of the landfill.
Download the energy conservation pledge.