Accounting - Chartfield Requests FAQs

Here are some common questions for chartfield requests:


1.) What forms do I need to fill out?

For most common chartfield requests, the Chartfield Request Form is a quick, convenient form to submit your request.

There are five different ChartField Request forms:

  • To request a new Program and SpeedType choose the "ChartField Request - SpeedType, Program Subclass" form (this is the 6th one on the list). This is the most comment request.
  • To add additional Fiscal Staff choose the “ ChartField Request – SpeedType Fiscal Staff”
  • To add a new Org or make changes to an already existing choose the “ ChartField Request; Organization.”
  • To request a new Gift Fund SpeedType choose the “Gift Fund” form (this is about half way down).
  • To request a new Project and SpeedType choose the “ChartfIeld Request: Project.”
    • The Project form has not been updated yet. For this form the Cover Sheet tab and the SpeedType tab alway needs to be filled out. The other sheets that need to be completed, depend on what you are requesting a new project for. Please contact the Accounting Department if you need assistants.


2.) How long will it take before my Chartfield is processed?

It all depends on the other activities that are going on in the Accounting office at the time. If all the information is included on the Chartfield request form the process should go pretty quickly.


3.) What fund do I need?

TIP: A complete list of Funds is accessible on the Office of the University Controller’s Web site at http://www.cu.edu/System_Controller/fin-system-values.html. Scroll to "Fund."

  • Fund 10 – Unrestricted General Fund
    • For funds appropriated by the state and supported by state appropriations. Includes tuition, facilities and administrative cost recoveries, and educational fees.

  • Funds 20, 26, 28, 29 – Auxiliary and Self-Funded Activities
    • Fund 20 – The revenues are exempt from TABOR reporting. A new entity cannot be added to this fund group without the Board of Regents formally designating that entity as a TABOR Enterprise. Existing TABOR Enterprise entities can add new FOPPS to account for a new activity as long as that activity is consistent with the role and mission that was the basis for their original TABOR Enterprise designation.
    • Fund 29 – used for self-funded activities, such as registration fees collected for a department-sponsored conference, that cannot be classified in Funds 20, 26, or 28.

  • Funds 30 and 34 – Restricted Funds
    • Fund 30 – for sponsored project awards made to the university by an external sponsor. External sponsors include businesses, foundations, and federal or state government agencies.
    • Fund 34 – for gifts given to the university, such as bequest to an academic department.

TIP: If your unit receives a check from a donor, make sure you contact the University of Colorado Foundation for its appropriate deposit.

  • Funds 71 and 72 – Unexpended Plant Fund
    • Fund 71 - also called the Capital Construction Fund, is used to account for all new buildings, remodeling, and renovations estimated at $50,000 or more.
    • Fund 72 - the Renewal and Replacement Fund, is used for reserves established by departments for future purchases of capital equipment, or for the future renovation of capital assets.


4.) Where do I send my completed forms?

Send your completed forms to