CAMPUS PROPERTY HISTORY
1902
General Palmer donates 100 acres for the site of a sanatorium, along with $50,000 of the $200,000 needed to complete the project.
1904
Construction on Cragmor Sanatorium begins.
1905
Cragmor opened its doors to its first patient.
1914
Main Building opened (now “Main Hall”).
1925
UCCS began conducting classes downtown on North Nevada, the “Colorado Springs Extension Center” in a former Colorado College fraternity house.
1927
South Hall opened at the Cragmor Sanatorium (later demolished in 1980), it served as a nurses’ dorm.
1959
 
Moved administrator’s office from a Palmer High School broom closet to a former School District 11.
1959
Cragmor Manor (now Cragmor Hall) opened as a combination nursing home and senior citizen facility.
1962
 
Leased portions of 2 buildings at Colorado College, the former fraternity house and a former residence hall, “Jackson House”.
1964
George T. Dwire offered a solution to the university’s space problem with the purchase of Cragmor Sanatorium and over 80 acres for $1 a year. There were 3 major buildings (Main Hall, Cragmor Manor, and the South Hall), 4 residence cottages, a storage house, large garage.
1965
 
The Extension Center moved to Cragmor, tuition was $13 per credit hour.
1972
Dwire Hall opened.
1976
Kraemer Family Library opened.
1977
University Center and Library Building opened.
1980
The Four Diamonds Sports Complex opened.
1981
Gallery of Contemporary Art opened.
1982
Heller Art Gallery opened.
1985
Engineering Building opened.
1988
University Center expansion completed.
1996
Campus Services Building opened.
1996
Housing 1st Phase Completed (Keystone, Breckenridge, Aspen, Lodge, Monarch).
1997
Housing 2nd Phase completed (Vail, Steamboat, Telluride).
1997
Heller Property donated.
1998
Family Development Center opened.
1999
Eagle Rock Modular's set-up for the Beth-El College of Nursing.
2000
University Center Pavilion opened.
2001
El Pomar Center opened.
2002
University Hall reopened after renovation.
   
To learn more about our history, we recommend these two books written
by Dr. Douglas R. McKay
available in our bookstore.