Assistant Professor phone: 719-255-5116 email: firstname.lastname@example.org room: ENGR 216
***Current graduate adviser for Physics***
Ph.D. : University of Western Australia, 2009
Research Interests (theoretical physics)
• High frequency linear and nonlinear dynamics of magnetic thin films and heterostructures
• Ferroelectric and multiferroic materials
• Liquid crystals
• Dielectric and magnetic nanoparticles for optical, microwave and biomedical applications
• Single molecular magnets
• 2012 onwards, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Energy Science, UCCS
• 2010-2011, Postdoctoral Fellow, Australian Resources Research Centre, Earth Science Division, CSIRO
• 2010, Senior Research Associate, Department of Physics and Energy Science, UCCS
• 2009, Research Associate, Condensed Matter Group, School of Physics, University of Western Australia
• Mathematical Methods for Physics (PHYS5030): Fall 2014 • Quantum Mechanics 1 (PES4250): Fall 2013 • Special Topics: Computational Physics (PES3970): Fall 2014 (new class trial with 2 students) • Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics (PES3410): Spring 2014
• Modern Physics (PES3130): Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Spring 2015
• Physics 3 (PES2130): Spring 2013, Spring 2015
• Physics 2 (PES1120): Fall 2012, Spring 2014
• Physics 1 (PES1110): Spring 2012 • Undergraduate research supervision
• Masters & PhD thesis supervision • Independent study
Selected awards and recognitions • ISAMMA conference, invited speaker, Taiwan (2013) • Peer reviewer for 9 international journals • National Institute for Health (NIH) travel scholarship (2013)
• Prizes for best conference presentation (2006, 2008, 2008) • IEEE Magnetics Society Student Travel Awards (2007, 2008) • UWA Hackett Postgraduate Scholarship (2005-2008) • Seagate Technologies Top-up Scholarship (2005-2008)
Current postdocs and research students • Patrick Yarborough (PhD) • Joseph Woods (PhD, with Biofrontiers) • David Serantes (Research Associate, with Biofrontiers)
• Brandyn Ness (Math undergrad 2015) • Miriam DeJong (Physics undergrad 2015, with Undergraduate Research Academy & LAS Faculty-Student Research Award)
Past postdocs and research students • Tim Fal (Research associate Biofrontiers 2014, now a UCCS Instructor) • Dana Louie (MSc 2014, now at U Maryland PhD) • Matt Phelps (Physics undergrad 2014, now at U Conn PhD, LAS Faculty-Student Research Award) • Tom Moore (Physics undergrad 2014, now at UCCS) • Chris Karwin (Physics undergrad 2013, now at UC Irvine PhD)
• "Tunable transient decay times in nonlinear systems: application to magnetic precession," M.G. Phelps, K. L. Livesey, A. Ferona and R.E. Camley, Europhys. Lett. accepted (2015). With UCCS undergrad student Matthew Phelps and PhD student Aaron Ferona.
• "Spin waves in a thin film with magnetoelectric coupling at the surfaces," T. Moore, R. E. Camley and K. L. Livesey, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 372, 107 (2014). With UCCS undergrad student Tom Moore. • "Magnetic studies of metal ion coordination clusters encapsulated with thiacalixarene," R. Fuller, K. L. Livesey, R. Woodward, A. McKinley, B. Skelton and G. Koutsantonis, Aust. J. Chem., http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/CH14136 (2014).
• "The formation of linear aggregates in magnetic hyperthermia: implications on specific absorption rate and magnetic anisotropy," S. L. Saville, B. Qi, J. Baker, R. Stone, R. E. Camley, K. L. Livesey, T. M. Crawford and O. T. Mefford, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 424, 141 (2014).
• "Microwave properties of twisted and supertwisted nematic liquid crystals with weak anchoring," C. M. Karwin and K. L. Livesey, Liquid Crystals, DOI:10.1080/02678292.2013.878813 (2014). With UCCS undergrad student Chris Karwin.
• "Liquid crystal phase shifters with a twist," C. M. Karwin and K. L. Livesey, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 063508 (2013). With UCCS undergrad student Chris Karwin.
• "Resonant frequencies on a binary magnetic nanowire," K. L. Livesey, J. Ding, N. R. Anderson, R. E. Camley, A. O. Adeyeye, M. P. Kostylev and S. Samarin, Phys. Rev. B 87, 064424 (2013). With UCCS PhD student Nick Anderson.
• "Domain dynamics and fluctuation in artificial square ice at finite temperatures," Z. Budrikis, K. L. Livesey, J. P. Morgan, J. Akerman, A. Stein, S. Langdridge, C. H. Marrows and R. L. Stamps, New J. Phys. 14, 035014 (2012).
• "Magneto-optical observation of four-wave scattering in a 15-nm Ni81Fe19 film during large-angle magnetization precession," H. T. Nembach, K. L. Livesey, M. P. Kostylev, P. Martin-Pimentel, S. J. Hermsdoerfer, B. Leven and B. Hillebrands, Phys. Rev. B 84, 184413 (2011).
• "Strain-mediated magnetoelectric coupling in magnetostrictive/piezoelectric heterostructures and resulting high frequency effects," K. L. Livesey, Phys. Rev. B 83, 224420 (2011).
• "Domain wall and microwave assisted switching in an exchange spring bilayer," T. J. Fal, K. L. Livesey and R. E. Camley, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 093911 (2011).
• "Exchange bias induced by domain walls in BiFeO3," K. L. Livesey, Phys. Rev. B 82, 064408 (2010).
• "Magnetic metals give better attenuation in small waveguides operating at high microwave frequencies than non-magnetic metals," K. L. Livesey and R. E. Camley, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 252506 (2010).
• "High frequency susceptibility of a weak ferromagnet with magnetostrictive magnetoelectric coupling: using heterostructures to tailor electromagnon frequencies," K. L. Livesey and R. L. Stamps, Phys. Rev. B 81, 094405 (2010).
• "Effect of transverse magnetic correlations on a coupled order parameter: shifted transition temperatures and thermal hystereis," K. L. Livesey and R. L. Stamps, Phys. Rev. B 81, 064403 (2010).