Orientation programs are now available for veterans and active duty military. The program is offered to those students whose life experiences are very different from many of those entering UCCS as new students. The Veteran and Military portion of orientation is held in conjunction with Transfer Orientation. If you are under the age of 21 and are attending UCCS on military benefits, you will still need to attend the Freshman Orientation.
Students attending the Veteran and Military Orientation arrive one hour prior to other transfer students and are greeted by staff from the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs. This office then holds a brief program explaining veteran benefits. Following this one hour session, veteran and military students join the rest of the transfer students and complete a Transfer Orientation to register for classes.
There are two main Veteran and Military Orientation events, which are listed below:
Veteran and Military/Transfer Orientation
The Veteran and Military/Transfer orientation will occur prior to a student beginning classes at UCCS. This program will be 45-60 minutes or less and will include an introduction to key personnel, campus services, the Student Veteran’s Association, and benefits processing. Most of this time will be spent on sharing information about veteran and military benefits, with some time built in for connecting with students and discussing the differences between the academic environment and the military. Students will also have an opportunity to meet other students entering UCCS who are part of the veteran/active duty military community. Following this 45-60 minute program, students will join the main Transfer Orientation program and register for classes.
Student Transition Orientation / Welcome Reception
The second orientation/ welcome reception will provide time for transition and counseling discussions, as well as some community building. This session will include a more in-depth discussion on courses that can help military and veteran students transition, issues that can happen with this transition, and learning college navigation strategies. This session will conclude with a gathering to provide an opportunity to meet with UCCS representatives and others from the VA/active duty military community.
To find out which transfer dates include this special military orientation, please go here.
Transfer Student Weclome
The UCCS Transfer Student Welcome is your opportunity to have lunch with faculty in your major and get to know other transfer students before classes begin. In addition to lunch with faculty, you will also have the opportunity to attend a variety of breakout sessions geared toward your transition to UCCS. Don’t miss out on this popular and fun transfer student event!
This DOES NOT take the place of registering for the first part of Veteran/Transfer Orientation. If you have not already registered for the first part of Veteran Orientation, please register here.
Prior to coming to orientation, you will need to complete the following:
1. If needed, take the Math Placement Test - Only certain majors require the Math Placement Test (MPT). To find out if you need to take it, visit here. If your major is not listed, you do not need to take the Math Placement Test. The MPT does cost a nominal amount, and is only available online.
- Take the Math Placement Test by clicking here.
- If you have any questions, have taken college level math before, or taken AP or IB math tests, contact Katie Horner at 719-255-3659 or email@example.com.
2. Turn in a copy of certified records showing proof of two Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) shots - Per Colorado State Law, all UCCS students must submit immunization records proving they have received two Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccines. Failure to satisfy this requirement will result in a block being placed on your student account which will prevent you from further class registration. Please bring a copy of your immunization records to Orientation or have them mailed, e-mailed, or faxed to the Student Health Center prior to your Orientation date. More information about this and other immunization requirements can be found here.
3. Send in your most recent official copy of your transcript - Your advisor will be unable to properly aid you in choosing your classes until you have done this. You can send this in to Admissions and Records. To find out more about sending in transcripts, visit Admissions and Records website here.
4. Check your email for the orientation confirmation email - This email will have important information, such as the orientation location/time for check-in. You should receive this email approximately one week after you submit your orientation reservation form. Check your spam/junk folder or call the Orientation Office at 719-255-3098 if you do not see it.
5. Claim to your UCCS account - This is different than your prospective student account. Go here and select Claim your account. Then follow the instructions to retrieve your UCCS username and set your password. If you have any problems call the Helpdesk at 719-255-3536.
6. Read the Student Rights and Responsibilities - These are expectations UCCS has for you and what you can expect from UCCS.
7. Check out Preparing for Transfer Orientation - This site has information on everything you need to do starting from when you get accepted to UCCS until you attend an orientation.
8. Relax! Orientation is a busy, but fun-filled day where you'll meet new friends, register for classes, and learn more about UCCS.
Please note that this is a sample schedule. Your schedule may differ slightly.
Military Orientation and check-in
Resource Fair & obtaining IDs
Families and Students split
Advising/Registration (student only)