|What is Outdoor Adventure Orientation?||Adventure Orientation Checklist||Meet your OWL!||Frequently Asked Questions|
|Register for Outdoor Adventure Orientation||Adventure Orientation Schedule||Equipment/Items to bring||Campus Resources|
Outdoor Adventure Orientations are designed for incoming freshmen students who want to complete their orientation requirement and meet other students in an extended format. Outdoor Adventure Orientations begin on-campus where students meet each other, learn more about UCCS, and register for classes.
Once this is complete, students board university provided transportation and travel to an off-campus location where they will camp for the night. The next day and half are comprised of outdoor activities and teambuilding experiences, such as rafting, hiking, and more. Students are then returned to campus on the final day.
Prior to coming to orientation you will need to complete the following:
1. Cash or check to pay for adventure orientation - Unlike the traditional freshman orientation, the Adventure Orientation requires a $200 fee to be paid prior to leaving for the overnight portion of orientation. Any student who does not bring this will not be permitted to join the Adventure Orientation. This fee cannot be collected early and must be brought on the June 7 orientation day.
2. Fill out and sign waiver. You will receive a waiver with your orientation confirmation letter. This waiver needs to be signed by you. If you are under the age of 17, please contact the Orientation Coordinator, Carol Kumm, at 719-255-3181 for more details. You will need to sign a whitewater rafting waiver on the second day of orientation, as well.
3. If needed, take the Math Placement Test - If you have previously taken a 100-level or higher math course, or have AP or IB test grades, you do not need to take the Math Placement Test. If you are unsure whether you need to take the Math Placement Test, go here and look at your intended major. If you have not yet taken the Math Placement Test, click here. If you do not complete the Math Placement Test prior to your orientation session, you will be unable to register for your math class. If you have questions regarding the Math Placement Test call 719-255-3659 or email email@example.com.
4. Bring or send you Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) records - Per Colorado State Law, all UCCS students must submit immunization records proving they have received two Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccines. Failure to satisfy this requirement will result in a block being placed on your student account which will prevent you from further class registration. Please bring a copy of your immunization records to Orientation or have them mailed, e-mailed, or faxed to the Student Health Center prior to your Orientation date (if possible). More information about this and other immunization requirements can be found here. If you fail to satisfy this requirement within your first semester, you will be prevented from enrolling in your second semester classes.
5. Pick a Freshman Seminar class - The freshman seminar class is the best way to meet other students interested in the same things as you, while learning how to navigate UCCS. Visit this site for more information.
6. Check you email for the orientation confirmation email - This email will have important information, such as the orientation location/time for check-in. You should receive this email approximately one week after you submit your orientation reservation form. Check your spam/junk folder or call the Orientation Office at 719-255-3098 if you do not see it.
7. Log-in to your UCCS account - To claim you account you will need your Student ID number. If you do not know your ID number, contact Records at 719.255.3361. Once you have your Student ID number click here. Follow the instructions to retrieve your username and set your password. Contact the I.T. Helpdesk at 719.255.3536 with any issues you encounter retrieving your account information.
8. Read the Student Rights and Responsibilities - These are expectations UCCS has for you and what you can expect from UCCS.
9. Check out Preparing for Freshman Orientation - This site has all the information you need to know from the date you are admitted to UCCS until you attend an orientation.
10. Relax! Orientation is a busy, but fun-filled time where you'll meet new friends, register for classes, and learn more about UCCS.
8:00a - Check-in and breakfast
9:00-12:30p - Regular Freshman Orientation Schedule
1:00p - Students leave for camp; Friends and family leave campus
5:00p - Students arrive and camp and prepare dinner
7:00p - Teambuilding activities and bonfire
8:00a - Breakfast
10:00a - Whitewater rafting
2:00p - Lunch
3:30p - Mt. Princeton Hot Springs
6:30p - Dinner at camp
7:30p - Campfire
8:00a - Breakfast
9:00a - Depart for campus
1:00p - Arrive back at campus and leave for home.
1. Reusable cup, spoon, fork, plate, and bowl
2. Tennis shoes
3. River shoes (i.e. Teva-type shoe with a heel strap, or an old pair of tennis shoes)
7. Light jacket to use as windbreaker/shell
8. Heavy sweater or pullover sweatshirt
9. Rain jacket
10. Long pants
11. Shirt you don't mind getting wet
12. Warm hat
13. Water bottle
14. Toiletries (medicines, toothpaste, toothbrush, lip balm, baby wipes, etc.)
15. Personal items (camera, pen & paper, book, etc.)
16. Socks and undergarments
17. Headlamp or small flashlight
20. Baseball cap (optional)
The following items can be provided by the UCCS Outdoor Program if you do not have them:
1. Sleeping bag
2. Sleeping pad