Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the questions to view the answers

    What is the process for the post 9/11 GI Bill to pay my bill?

You must visit the Office of Veteran and Military Student Affairs in the Forster House to turn in a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA, stating the percent you are eligible for under Ch.33 and complete a course load worksheet, once you have registered for the courses you intend to take for the entire term. Once these documents are received the UCCS VA office will complete your Certification of Enrollment with the VA. This initiates any benefits payable directly to the student (BAH and Book/Supply Stipend, if eligible) from the VA and tuition and fee payments directly to the school. Next, enrollment certification information is provided to the Office of Tuition Assistance and a conditional credit will be placed on your student account for the estimated amount the VA will pay based on the eligibility stated on your COE. (If you have not yet received a copy of your COE UCCS will certify your enrollment to the VA but the Office of Tuition Assistance will not place a conditional credit on your student account until received.)

    Do I have to be certified every semester for the VA to pay my tuition and fees?

Yes, the VA requires Certification of Enrollment every semester you intend to use your Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI BILL benefits to cover your tuition and fees.

    By what date do I have to have required paperwork in and be certified in the UCCS VA
    office to avoid late and service charges?

You must turn in all required paperwork to include certificate of eligibility and be certified in the UCCS VA office on or prior to the first tuition payment due date/census date of every semester. If you are not certified, or the Office of Tuition Assistance has not received your certification information by this date in every term, you are subject to late and service charges until your certification or a copy of your certificate of eligibility are received. The student will be responsible to pay any late and service charges assessed, as these costs are not covered by Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.

    I do not receive 100% tuition and fee from the Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill, when is my portion

If you are going to be paid less than 100% for the Ch.33 benefit, you need to pay your portion of the bill in full or enroll in a payment plan prior to the first payment due date of the term. If your portion is not paid you will be responsible for any late and service charges that accrue on the student account.

    What happens if I drop a class and the UCCS OVMSA has already certified my enrollment
    with the VA?

If you drop a class after the OVMSA has certified your enrollment with the VA, the VA will seek the tuition and fees paid for that class. If you have dropped the class before term start date, UCCS sends the amount of overpayment directly to the VA. If you have dropped the class after census date, UCCS will not refund any payments to the VA and the VA will seek the overpayment from the student.

    I received a letter from the VA debt management center stating I owe a debt because the
    VA overpaid the school for tuition and fees, what is the schools refund policy?

All overpayments sourced from a student dropping courses after the term start date, a refund will be applied to the student account directly. All overpayments applied to the student account will be applied toward any outstanding charges owed to the University of Colorado prior to any refund being generated directly to the student.

For overpayments due to duplicate payments from the VA, a student withdrawaling from all courses prior to the term start date and a student never attending, all overpayments sent will be sent directly to the VA at the following address as specified by the VA:

Department of Veteran Affairs
Attn: Agent Cashier
St. Louis Regional Processing Office
400 S. 18th Street
St. Louis, MO 63103

UCCS will work to notify every student of an overpayment applied to their student account or sent back to the VA on their behalf with a formal notification. If you have more specific questions regarding the details of an overpayment on your behalf please call 719-255-3739, if we cannot answer your questions you will be referred to the Central VA.

    Do I have to be certified every semester for the VA to pay my tuition and fees?

Yes, the VA requires Certification of Enrollment every semester you intend to use your Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI BILL benefits to cover your tuition and fees.

    How do I pay for my education?

In order to provide prospective students with personalized information covering the total cost of UCCS programs, please use the following resources: College Navigator is a free consumer information tool designed to help students, parents, high school counselors, and others get information about over 7000 colleges and universities. College Shopping sheet in the UCCS Go Portal Once you have applied to attend UCCS, you can log into the Go Portal and utilize the college shopping sheet to determine how much financial aid you can expect to receive and what the net cost of attending UCCS will be. Note - students using VA education benefits and tuition assistance will not see these represented on the shopping sheet. Net Price Calculator is intended to provide estimated net price information to current and prospective students and their families based on what similar students paid in a previous year.

    How does my College Opportunity Fund (COF) effect Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill ?

UCCS OVMSA subtracts COF (for those who are eligible) before submitting tuition and fee information to the VA. Meaning, the VA will pay tuition minus COF, as long as the student is eligible to receive COF funds. This is requested by the VA and the UCCS leadership team, as COF is defined as direct funding to undergraduate students from the State of Colorado in the form of a stipend paid to the school directly. The stipend is used to reduce down the student share of tuition charged by the school. If the student chooses not to use the COF toward their bill, the student is financially responsible to pay for any remaining balance on their student account by the published due dates to avoid late and service charges. For more information on COF and how to apply and authorize please see the following page

    My enrollment has been certified in the UCCS VA office, why don't I have a credit on my
    account showing Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI BILL is covering my tuition and fees?

This is because you have not provided UCCS with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA or you waited until after that last tuition due date to visit the UCCS VA office to have your enrollment certified for the semester. Your account will be credited once we received a wire payment from the VA on your behalf or you turn in a COE to the UCCS VA office. If it is past the final tuition due date you will not receive a credit to your account at all until the funds are received from the VA.

    How do I change my address?

You can change your address by calling 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551..

    Do I need to submit SAT or ACT scores? If I did not take either exam, what are my options?

If you have never taken the ACT or SAT, you must then meet transfer admission criteria to be admitted or you must have graduated from high school prior to 1988. Otherwise, we require ACT or SAT test scores for all freshman applicants. A supplemental ACT is offered through the UCCS Testing Center.

    How do I verify my enrollment to the VA? 

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 are required to verify their enrollment with the VA at the end of each month. You can verify your enrollment through several means:
· IVR: Interactive Voice Response. Call 1-877-823-2378 (1-877-VAE-CERT) and follow the instructions provided. · WAVE: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment. Click here to access the website.

    How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?

To sign up for direct deposit, you just need to call 1-877-838-2778 or 1-888-442-4551 and have your bank's routing number and your account number available.

    What I should I do if I change my enrollment?

Let us know as soon as you drop, withdraw, or change majors, so that we can notify the VA. Overpayments may be incurred by dropping or withdrawing, so it's important that we notify the VA as soon as possible.

    Does the VA pay for Pass/Fail and Audit Courses?

Pass/Fail courses will not be paid for if they are failed. However, if you are already full-time without the course, it will not affect your payment. Audit courses will not be paid for by the VA.

    What should I do if I plan to permanently transfer?

If you are transferring to another school, you should complete the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training forms (22-1995 or 22-5495 if Chapter 35) and submit it to the VA. This can be done on the VA website, mailed to the VA, or faxed to the VA.

    How do I get in-state tuition rates?

For information about in-state tuition rates, please contact admissions and records. Their website can be reached by clicking here.

    How do I apply for benefits?

For information about applying for benefits, please refer to this checklist.

    When is my payment due?

Please go to the Bursar/Cashiering home page to view the deadlines and due dates for the various payment options. It can be accessed by clicking here