Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits( family members)

Transferring Benefits

    • Active duty member (sponsor): Enroll your dependent in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(D.E.E.R.S.)
    • Children of the active duty member must be enrolled before their 25th birthday.
    • Log on the the Department of Defense MilConnect Transfer Education Benefits website.
    • Use your Common Access Card (CAC),DoD Self-Service Logon (DS Logon), or DFAS Account(myPay) to sign in to the milConnect portal application:
  1. Once your transfer request is approved, your request data is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) *Note: It takes about 10-12 weeks for the Regional Processing Office to handle claims for education benefits; therefore, the earlier you apply for benefits, the earlier you may receive your Certificate of Eligibility.

For family members enrolling in classes without a Certificate of Eligibility:

Bring the following documents to the Office of Veteran and Military Student Affairs:

    • Application for Education Benefits(VA Form 22-1990E)
    • MilConnect TEB approval page
    • *Waiver for Certification without COE (in-house form located in our office)
    • Course Load Worksheet (CLW)

*Note: Enrolling in classes without a Certificate of Eligibility does not exempt you from paying tuition and fees. The student must be enrolled in a payment plan or have a means of making tuition payments until you receive your COE - OR - your account will be hit with a late fee.

For family members enrolling in classes without a Certificate of Eligibility:

Fill out a VA Form 22-1995 (Change of Place or Training), and submit it to our office along with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and CLW.