The Kraemer Family Library fosters the intellectual growth of UCCS students, faculty, staff, and our community by developing innovative services, technologies, collections, and spaces that facilitate their emerging information needs.
The Kraemer Family Library promotes an open atmosphere of scholarly inquiry where all members of UCCS and the Colorado Springs communities can pursue their intellectual endeavors. The Library enhances our users' ability to access information and develop critical research skills by creating physical and virtual pathways for them to interact with Library resources and staff at the most opportune times in their learning processes.
- We offer an environment that encourages scholarship, creativity, and academic & intellectual freedom.
- We believe information literacy is an essential learning outcome of our students.
- We recognize that the needs of each user are different or unique.
- We embrace campus and community partnerships.
- We cultivate employee and organizational excellence by supporting innovation, teamwork, inclusiveness, civility, flexibility, risk-taking, accountability, and professional growth.
Goal 1: Instruction and Reference
Deliver comprehensive services that empower faculty, staff, and students to obtain information literacy skills in order to help them achieve their academic and research objectives.
- 1.1 Deliver information literacy instruction at the introductory level and beyond.
- 1.2 Offer a variety of learning opportunities beyond classroom instruction.
- 1.3 Incorporate new technologies into the delivery of library instruction.
- 1.4 Consider new staffing patterns and delivery methods for reference service.
- 1.5 Expand services and communication for nontraditional and online students.
- 1.6 Provide outreach to K-12 public school teachers and librarians in the local community.
- 1.7 Establish a plan for ongoing assessment of services and their impact on our users, monitoring, and responding to changing user expectations.
Goal 2: Collections
Select, evaluate, and acquire library resources in a variety of formats with a diversity of perspectives in order to support teaching and research activities at UCCS.
- 2.1 Define collection development strategies that meet the evolving needs of the Library's users and support the University's areas of strategic growth.
- 2.2 Develop collections of e-resources that take advantage of emerging technologies and respond to the evolving needs of the Library's users.
- 2.3 Develop strategies for the de-selection of materials and conversion of existing materials to new and updated formats.
- 2.4 Continuously monitor, document, and update methods of acquiring and licensing library resources.
- 2.5 Reinvigorate the depository programs for federal and Colorado documents.
- 2.6 Continuously assess and monitor use of existing library resources in all formats.
Goal 3: Access
Provide the UCCS community with access to library services and collections in physical and digital formats.
- 3.1 Integrate new technologies that improve access to library services.
- 3.2 Investigate and implement new tools and technologies that improve access to information resources and adhere to existing standards.
- 3.3 Improve the pathways that give users access to library virtual collections.
- 3.4 Improve access to and delivery of the physical collections of the library.
- 3.5 Provide services and collections that meet the needs of non-traditional and online students.
Goal 4: Preservation
Preserve materials in the print and electronic/digital collections of the Kraemer Family Library, UCCS Archives, and University of Colorado Colorado Springs institutional repository in a condition that assures long-term accessibility and usability.
- 4.1 Assure future access to materials in the physical collections and purchased electronic content.
- 4.2 Create new methods of access for unique and original content created by the University community while maintaining significant properties and preserving the original materials.
- 4.3 Work with content creators, producers, or providers to establish mechanisms to ensure deposit of University materials in UCCS Archives and the University of Colorado Colorado Springs institutional repository.
- 4.4 Develop strategies to support administration, faculty, staff, and students in identifying and contributing materials to the appropriate repository for long-term preservation and use.
- 4.5 Create and maintain a comprehensive disaster response and recovery plan.
Goal 5: Facilities and Environment
Provide and sustain learner-centered spaces and environments for resource exploration, information delivery, and access to services and resources.
- 5.1 Expand and renovate existing library space to meet the needs of a growing student body and to maximize use of space for learning, teaching, collection expansion and preservation, and hosting events.
- 5.2 Provide a positive and productive workplace where staff are empowered to provide excellent professional service to support the goals of the University and the Library.
- 5.3 Establish new models of collaboration with campus, community, and other university institutions to provide service and support the needs of our constituents.
- 5.4 Adhere to the principles of sustainability in its broadest sense in all aspects of library functioning, including buildings, operations, personnel, collections, and services.
Goal 6: Organizational Development and Culture
Recruit and retain a diverse, self-directed library team that is committed to achieving the mission of the Library and the University.
- 6.1 Cultivate a flexible, diverse workforce that can meet the evolving needs of our users and that appreciates and is sensitive to cultural, global, and other differences.
- 6.2 Develop an atmosphere that encourages faculty and classified staff to actively participate in and support the University's goals.
- 6.3 Develop and sustain a program of training and professional development for Library faculty and classified staff.
- 6.4 Build staff awareness of best practices at other institutions and throughout the field.
- 6.5 Develop a succession staffing plan.
Goal 7: Visibility
Increase awareness of our collections, services, and programs to the UCCS campus, the local, regional, and national communities through strategic communications channels and marketing.
- 7.1 Improve efforts to inform the UCCS community of Library-related information.
- 7.2 Seek partnerships with local, regional, and national library organizations and librarians, and other library employees.
- 7.3 Promote developments in scholarly communication within the University community.
- 7.4 Coordinate with other campus units to host and promote events, both cultural and scholarly, that draw new users and feature the Library as an intellectual and social center on campus.