Soakin' Up The Rays - Summer 2013

Cells

Course Title - Soakin' Up The Rays

A research module that will allow you to investigate the molecular basis of natural selection using radiation, fission yeast and green fluorescence protein. Science educators - adapt these experiments into your science curriculum! 

Earn two (2) graduate credit hours from the UCCS Biology Department. Tuition is $999 plus approx. $50 UCCS campus fees. Includes parking at the UCCS campus on all meeting days.

SCHEDULE: June 17-July 3, 2013. Six course meetings on Mondays and Thursdays (with the exception of the final meeting on Wednesday, July 3) from 9:00am to 1:00pm.

WHERE? All course meetings take place in the UCCS Osborne Center for Science & Engineering.
credit hours

TO REGISTER: Download the registration packet by clicking here. Follow all steps carefully to register in the myUCCS online portal system. This course is open to all interested science educators and students. 


Soakin' Up The Rays
with Schizosaccharomyces pombe

Accurate DNA replication (S-­‐phase) and segregation (M-­‐phase) of DNA to each daughter cell is vital to the proper development of all organisms. A caveat to this seemingly straightforward process is that the integrity of DNA in our cells is routinely challenged. For example, exposure to X-­‐rays and CT scans produce about 40 lesions in the DNA of exposed cells, while exposure to sunlight at peak hours can result in the production of 100,000 lesions a day. Given that the integrity of a cell's DNA is challenged on a daily basis, how do cells successfully replicate to permit normal proper development?  To monitor DNA integrity, cells are equipped with DNA damage response (DDR) processes that detect damaged DNA or incomplete DNA replication. Once damaged or unreplicated DNA is detected, the DDR activates an appropriate DNA repair process and simultaneously delays entry into mitosis (M-­‐phase). This delay to mitosis gives DNA repair enzymes the time they need to fix the damage before cell division eventually resumes.

Lab Schedule

During this module, you will perform a series of experiments on yeast to gain a better understanding of the DDR process. During Lab 1, you will mutagenize yeast by blasting them with UV. About 90% of the yeast won't survive and the remaining 10% that survive do so with DNA that is riddled with mutations. During Labs 2 - 4, you will screen through the survivors in search of mutants with damaged DDR genes. During this time you will also use bioinformatics to characterize DDR genes based on DNA sequence alone. During Labs 5 and 6, you will use light and fluorescence microscopy to characterize DDR mutants.


IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
To inquire about using financial aid for this course, please visit this page at the Office of Financial Aid web site.

TUITION INFORMATION
Tuition for Summer 2013 Extended Studies courses is due by June 17, 2013. Balances for Summer 2013 registrations will post by approximately May 21, 2013 for registrations completed before this date; balances will post immediately for registrations completed after this date. Make sure to wait for your balance to appear in your online account before you make your payment. You may pay via credit card in your student account or by Electronic Funds Transfer; if you are not able to make your payment by either of these methods, please contact the Campus-Wide Extended Studies office at 719/255-3498 to set up a payment by another method. Do not wait to receive a bill; you may be charged late fees.

WITHDRAWAL INFORMATION
The withdrawal deadline for this course is June 17, 2013. If you are withdrawing before this date, you may withdraw in your student portal account and receive a full tuition refund. If you are withdrawing after this date, you must contact LAS Extended Studies at 719/255-4071 or lases@uccs.edu to complete withdrawal paperwork; you will not receive a full tuition refund if you withdraw after this date.

Note to STUDENT SUCCESS: this section is open to all interested students.