Office of International Affairs

Passport and Visas


Apply Early. Without a passport it will not be possible to study abroad. Expect to wait approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application to receive your passport. Remeber that your passport is required before you beging the visa process. For more information please visit the U.S. Passports and International Travel website.


A visa is a document (usually in form of a stamp in your passport) that gives you permission to travel into a specific country and stay there for a determined period of time. Visas vary greatly from country to country (and from applicant to applicant), so it is important to communicate with the country's nearest consulate here in the U.S. to verify the specific visa you will need. While U.S. citizens are able to travel freely for up to 90 days in many countries on a tourist visa, you may need a study visa if you plan to study in the same country. Those wishing to do international internships may need a work visa. The most common types of visas are study, work, and tourist.

You must have a passport to apply for a visa. It can take from one day to three months to get a visa depending on the country, the purpose of travel, and your citizenship. if you are studying with a program provider (AIFS, ISA, GlobaLinks, etc), the provider will be able to help you with the process.

The Education Abroad Office does not process or issue visas for students. We are here to advise and assist students with the process, but obtaining a visa is ultimately the responsiblity of the student going abroad.

All students should review the embassy or consulate webpage of countries they plan to visit for updated visa and travel requirements. Visas may be acquired directly from the counsulate or from a visa service. Pay attention to detail when submitting the paperwork to prevent delays.

Below are a few resources to get you started on obtaining your visa: