Last Update: 7/29/05
WS_FTP is not secure. Recommend using SSH if the server allows secure FTP access. See http://www.uccs.edu/helpdesk/ssh.htm. If you must use WS_FTP with UCCS servers, you must connect Virtual Private Networking (VPN) first to secure your connection. See http://www.uccs.edu/helpdesk/vpn.htm.
1. Go to http://www.uccs.edu/helpdesk/dnsoftware.htm and click on WS_FTP. Select Save and save it to the Desktop when prompted. After downloading the installer, double-click on the WS_FTP icon to install WS_FTP.
2. Double-click the file ws_ftple.exe.
3. Click on install ws_ftp.
4. When it asks the question "I am", choose the option for "A student, faculty member or staff member of an educational institution (k-12, junior college, college, or university)".
5. When it asks for a Location choose either home or work and leave the Purpose field blank.
6. Click to accept the user agreement.
7. Click OK through the rest of the installation to accept all the defaults and finish the installation.
WARNING! When using WS_FTP, it does NOT check for the existance of a file prior to copying a file of the same name. It will overwrite a file WITHOUT asking. Always check for a file of the same name BEFORE copying a file. There is NO way of retrieving the old file unless you have another copy somewhere.
8. Click on the Start button, select (All) Programs, and start WS_FTP.
Configuring a connection (See the pictures below)
9. In the Profile box, type a name for the new connection; e.g., UNIX Server.
10. In the Host Name box, type in the name of the computer that you wish to access.
11. In the User ID box, type in your IT username. In the examples below, Jane Doe typed in jdoe.
12. In the Password box, type in your IT password.
13. Click the Startup tab.
14. In the Initial Remote Site Folder box, type in the folder as follows:
15. In the Initial Local Folder box, type in the folder as follows, depending on what version of Windows you're running:
16. Click the OK box.
19. Once the account is configured, you may select it from the Profile Name box, type in your password and click the OK box.
21. To access files from the floppy drive, use the mouse to double-click on the [-a-] on the Local System side.
22. Double-clicking on a folder will open the folder and display it's contents. Double-clicking of the space at the top of the directory (with the green up-arrow) will take you up one level in the directory structure.
WARNING! WS_FTP does NOT check for the existance of a file prior to copying a file of the same name. It will overwrite a file WITHOUT asking. Always check for a file of the same name BEFORE copying a file. There is NO way of retrieving the old file unless you have another copy somewhere.
23. To copy a file, highlight a file you wish to copy by clicking on it once. (Double-clicking on a file will copy it IMMEDIATELY.) Highlight additional files by holding down the Ctrl (control) key while clicking on the files.
24. Now that the files have been selected, look for the double arrows in the middle of the window. If you highlighted files on the left to copy to the server, click the arrow pointing to the right. If you highlighted files on the right to copy to your local computer, click the arrow pointing to the left.