Global Engagement Office: Education Abroad

Passport and Visas

U.S. PassportPassport

In order to travel abroad, you must hold a passport that will be valid for at least six months after the end of your proposed education abroad program. For information on how to apply for a passport, the requirements, the costs, and the estimated processing times, please visit the U.S. Department of State passport website.

Passport General Information

  1. First time applicants: Must submit your application in person to the nearest Post Office (Templeton Post Office).
  2. To renew passport, please visit the U.S. Department of State passport website for requirements.
  3. Passport photos: Don’t forget your passport photos! You will need to submit two identical photographs of you alone normally taken in the last 6 months. Photos of the same dimensions can be used for visa applications, ID cards, and other purpose. Make sure to get enough copies.

LOCAL STORES (that provide passport photo services)

Postal Annex (Located in University Village Colorado)
5262 N Nevada Ave Ste. 130
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
(719) 593-1084

2921 N Nevada Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
(719) 471-3440


A visa is a document (usually in form of a stamp in your passport) that gives you permission to travel into a specific country and stay there for a determined period of time. Visas vary greatly from country to country (and from applicant to applicant), so it is important to communicate with the country's nearest consulate here in the U.S. to verify the specific visa you will need. While U.S. citizens are able to travel freely for up to 90 days in many countries on a tourist visa, you may need a study visa if you plan to study in the same country. Those wishing to do international internships may need a work visa. The most common types of visas are study, work, and tourist.

You must have a passport to apply for a visa. It can take from one day to three months to get a visa depending on the country, the purpose of travel, and your citizenship. If you are studying with a Program Provider (AIFS, ISA, Semester at Sea, etc.) the Program Provider will be able to help you with the process.

The Education Abroad Office does not process or issue visas. We are here to advise and assist you with the process, but obtaining a visa is ultimately your responsibility.

You should review the embassy or consulate webpage of countries you plan to visit for updated visa and travel requirements. Visas may be acquired directly from the counsulate or from a visa service. Pay attention to detail when submitting the paperwork to prevent delays. Below are a few resources to get you started on obtaining your visa: