Dr. Bell has served as an Associate Professor of Communication at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs since the summer of 2010. He specializes in the study of popular culture, focusing on the ways in which race, class and gender intersect in different forms of media. Dr. Bell's primary research areas are young adult culture, particularly dystopian young adult literature and comic books. He serves as the chair of the Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Association's Harry Potter Studies division. He teaches both theory and methodology courses in critical analysis of popular culture, rhetorical theory, representation theory and mass media. Dr. Bell is a nationally-touring speaker on issues of race, class and gender in the media, and has presented work at regional, national and international conventions and conferences. In what little spare time is left over, Dr. Bell is an author of the children’s books Do Not Open the Door! and Do Not Look Under the Rug!, a competitive gamer competing on regional and international circuits, and travels with his wife and daughter.
- Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder (Media Studies)
- M.A., San Diego State University (Television, Film, and New Media Production)
- B.A., University of Northern Colorado (Social Science Education)
Honors and Awards
Dr. Bell was the 2015 recipient of the University of Colorado Colorado Springs Faculty Award for Outstanding Contribution to Diversity and Inclusiveness.
- Representation Theory
- Gender Studies
- Young Adult Culture
- COMM 1000: Contemporary Mass Media
- COMM 3280: Intercultural Communication
- COMM 4000: Rhetorical Dimensions in Communication
- COMM 4010/6010: Privilege and Oppression in Popular Culture
- COMM 4350/6350/SOC 5350: Critical Analysis of Popular Culture
- COMM 4900/6250: Cultural Criticism
- Bell, C. (ed.) (2016). Wizards vs. Muggles: Essays on identity and the Harry Potter universe. Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company Publishers.
- Bell, C. (ed.) (2015). From here to Hogwarts: Essays on Harry Potter fandom and fiction. Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company Publishers.
- Stevens, J.R. & Bell, C. (2015) (Re)examining the attitudes of comic book store patrons. Transformative Works and Cultures, 20.
- Bell, C. (ed.) (2013). Legilimens!: Perspectives in Harry Potter Studies. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Bell, C. (ed.) (2012). Hermione Granger Saves the World: Essays on the Feminist Heroine of Hogwarts. Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company Publishers.
- Stevens, J.R. & Bell, C. (2012). Do fans own digital comic books? Examining the copyright and intellectual property attitudes of comic book fans. International Journal of Communication, 6, 751-772.
- Bell, C. (2010). American idolatry: celebrity, commodity and reality television. Jefferson, NC: McFarland and Company Publishers.