Geography Awareness Week (GAW), celebrated every third week of November, is an awareness program focused on highlighting the importance of geo-literacy and geo-education. A new theme for each year is announced in midsummer accompanied by related online resources and activities, which are then available year-round. Read more about the purpose and history behind Geography Awareness Week here
GAW 2015: November 15th-21st
Celebrate and explore the power of maps November 15 - 21, 2015.Spatial thinking through maps is one of the most important skills that students can develop as they learn geography, Earth and environmental sciences, and so much more.
UCCS to host the 4th Annual GeoQuiz Night, in honor of Geography Awareness Week
GIS Day is November 18th!
- Students, staff, faculty, and the Colorado Springs public are all invited to this event that will be held in Clyde's Cafe in the University Center at UCCS at 1420 Austin Bluffs Pkwy in Colorado Springs. The event takes place from 6-8 pm and there will be free parking in lot 220 just south of Cragmore Hall. There will be food and drinks and fun questions to answer to get the chance to win some prizes. Click on the link above for more details about the event and for Geography Awareness Week.
See this map for some more Geography Awareness Week Activities happening across Colorado this week!
- Events are taking place in Colorado Springs, Denver, Fort Collins, and Greeley. Take a look at the link above for more details to find a GIS Day event going on near you.
- Here is a flier for an event the City of Denver will be hosting for GIS Day on Nov. 18th at the Wellington Webb Municipal Building on Colfax starting at 10:00 AM.
- Here is the flier for the GIS Day event that CSU Fort Collins will be hosting in the Morgan Library Event Hall from 9 AM to 5 PM. Click here for more details on the event and for registration.
Geography Awareness Week 2014: The Future of Food
Geography Awareness Week 2013: The New Age of Exploration
Geography Awareness Week 2012 - Declare Your Interdependence
Celebrating Geography Worldwide—November 11-17, 2012
This year’s Geography Awareness Week theme explores the idea that we are all are connected to the rest of the world through the decisions we make on a daily basis, including what foods we eat and the things we buy.
COGA is very interested in what's happening all over the state for GAW! We'd love to hear about it and feature you on our Facebook or Website. To contact COGA about GAW send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a GIS Professional or Educator planning an event or visit to a school for Geography Awareness Week? We'd love to share what you're doing, so register your event on the National GIS Day Online Event Map - http://www.gisday.com/gis-day-events-map.html
New Activity!! - Check out this great worksheet to challenge your students on their global awareness knowledge for Geography Awareness Week!
Geography Awareness Week 2012 Resources
-Global Closet Calculator-
An interactive game that explores interdependence.
-International GIS Day-
Celebrate the power of GIS on Nov. 14th!
-Explore NGS Education's Toolkit-
-Download a Printable GAW Map Poster Here-
Geography Awareness Week 2011 - The Adventure in Your Community
- What were Coloradans doing during Geography Awareness Week 2011? See this slide show to learn how they were thinking spatially.
Geography Awareness Week 2010 - Freshwater