Dr. Wendy Leader has devoted her education and career to the education of the gifted, and is currently the Gifted & Talented Coordinator for Mesa County District 51 in Grand Junction. She has presented at numerous conferences and has served on many boards and committees relating to the gifted.
Her areas of expertise include creativity; thinking skills and questioning strategies; K-8 mathematics; curriculum and instruction; design, concept-based differentiation; underserved populations; identification and psychology of giftedness; conceptual foundations of gifted education; and teacher education and professional development.
She holds a Colorado Teacher's License and is endoresed as a Gifted Education Specialist in elementary education.
Ph.D., Special Education - Education of the Gifted
University of Arizona
M.A., Special Education - Teaching the Gifted
University of Northern Colorado
CURR 5211 Curriculum Models & Programming
CURR 5206 Creativity
Publications and Presentations
- Comprehensive Math Program: A 12-Step Plan for Change. In S. G. Assouline & A. Lupkowski-Shoplik, Developing Mathematical Talent (3rd ed.), to be publ. Nov., 2010.
- Projects with Passion. Understanding Our Gifted, 22(2),pp. 21-23, 2010.
- GATEway Project. Understanding Our Gifted, 15(3), pp. 16-17, 2003.
- Investigating the Acquisition of Pedagogical Knowledge: Interviews with a Beginning Teacher of the Gifted. Roeper Review, 23, pp. 219-226, 2001.
- National Association for Gifted Children
- Chair of Creativity Network
2000 - 2002 and 2010 - present
- Research and Evaluation Network
- Education Committee
2008 - present
- Moderator, Virtual Convention
Volunteer and Service
- Coordinator, Gifted and Talented Program, Mesa County District 51
- Instructor, CDE Take Five modules in Gifted Education
- Featured presenter, South Dakota 8th Annual Institute for Teachers of Gifted Youth
- District-wide Gifted and Talented Resource Consultant
- Gifted and Talented Magnet Program Teacher
- Gifted and Talented Pull-out Program Teacher
- Coordinator of Javits grant project
- Colorado Association for the Gifted and Talented
1994 - present
- Board Member
1996 - 97
- Board of Governors, Colorado Academy of Educators of the Gifted, Talented, and Creative