Dr. Sylvia Martinez is the Department Chair of the Department of Leadership, Research, and Foundations at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. She is also an Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the SAHE Program. Her educational and professional background is in the foundations of education and student affairs. She received her Ph.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from the University of Kansas, her M.S. in Student Affairs in Higher Education from Colorado State University, and her B.A. in Economics from Washington State University. Sylvia's research centers on the educational attainment and schooling experiences of Mexican descent youth in the mid-20th century, the principal-counselor professional relationship, and higher education student success. She teaches leadership, foundations, research, and supervised practice courses in the Educational Leadership MA Programs and the Leadership, Research, and Policy Ph.D. Program.
Ph.D. Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
University of Kansas - 2007
M.S., Student Affairs in Higher Education
Colorado State University - 2003
Washington State University - 2001
ID 1010 Freshman Seminar: Head of the Class
LEAD 5610 Social Foundations of Higher Educationa Trends
LEAD 5700 Intro to Research and Statistics
LEAD 6000 International Study of Higher Education
LEAD 6830 Practicum in Student Affairs in Higher Education
LEAD 7150 Methods of Qualitative Research
LEAD 7600 Doctoral Research Lab
LEAD 8600 American and Comparitive Foundations of Education
Publications and Presentations
Recent Refereed Publications
- Martinez, S.L.M., & Rury, J.L. (2012). From "culturally deprived" to "at risk": The politics of popular expressions and educational inequality in the United States, 1960-1985. Teachers College Record, 114(6), 8-39.
- Martinez, S.L.M.(2012).Duality and tension for a university registrar: A modern-day lesson for academic and student affairs. College and University, 87(3), 67-70.
- Wehrman,J.D., Chessman, E.,& Martinez, S.L.M.(2011).Exploring student perceptions of clicker use in counselor education courses. National Teacher Education Journal, 4(1),71-81.
- Martinez, S.L.M., Haight, R., Pierceall,Herman, J., Sissom, L., & Wallner, D. ,(2011). Predicting academic probation: Exploring freshmen identified as deficient upon university acceptance. Journal of Student Affairs,20,34-41.
- Martinez, S.L.M.(2010).Profiles of Chicano educational opportunity, 1950-1980: The significance of teacher expectations. Journal of Praxis in Multicultural Education, 5(1), 52-66.
Recent Refereed Presentations
- Martinez, S. L. M., Hernandez, N., Clayton, G., & Elsey, S. (2013). The role of faculty in diversity and inclusiveness efforts: Results of a campus inclusiveness survey. Paper presented at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Education Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Martinez, S. L. M., Hernandez, N., Elsey, S., & Archibald, C. (2013). Non-traditional student needs: Collegiate inclusion perceptions. Paper presented at the 2013 National Association of Student Personnel Administrators Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Martinez, S. L. M., Hernandez, N., Elsey, S., & Lahrman, H. (2013). Student perspectives on inclusive classrooms: Exploring a student inclusiveness survey. Paper presented at the 2013 Annual Convention of the American College Personnel Association, Las Vegas, NV.
- Martinez, S. L. M., & Bajaj, A. (2012). Hispanic teachers in the Southwest, 1940-1980: A descriptive profile and comparison. Paper presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the American Education Research Association, Vancouver, BC Canada.
- Martinez, S. L. M., Koback, A., Stiles, C., & Christensen, B. (2012) Ritual, innovation, self-efficacy, and sorority women: Exploring the connections. Paper presented at the 2012 National Association of Student Personnel Administrators Annual Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
Volunteer and Service
- 2013-Present Graduate Executive Committee Member
- 2013-Present Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects Member
- 2013-Present Fraternity and Sorority Greek Life Advisory Committee Member
- 2013-Present Gateway Sub-Committee Member of the General Education Taskforce
- 2012-Present Sexual Harassment Advisory Board Member
- 2012-Present Faculty Research Council Member
- 2012-Present CU System Diversity and Excellence Grant Review Committee
- 2012-Present Auxiliary Services Advisory Committee Member
- 2011-Present MOSAIC Advisory Committee Member
- 2008-Present Diversity Foundations Member
- 2008-Present Asian Pacific Islander Student Union Faculty Advisor
- 2007-Present Faculty Minority Affairs Committee Member
- 2007-Present Office of Student Multicultural Affairs Faculty Mentor