Marcus A. Winters is an assistant professor in the Leadership, Research, and Foundations Department in the College of Education at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. His research focuses on K-12 education policy including topics such as school choice, accountability, and teacher compensation policies.
University of Arkansas - 2008
B.A., Political Science
The Ohio University - 2002
Economics of Education
Advanced Quantitative Analysis
- “Education Myths” with Jay P. Greene and Greg Forster. Rowman & LittlefieldPublishers, August, 2005.
Refereed Articles and Book Chapters
- "The Impact of High-Stakes Testing on Student Proficiency in Low-Stakes Subjects: Evidence from Florida's Elementary Science Exam" with Jay P. Greene and Julie Trivitt. Economics of Education Review, 29(1), pp: 138-146.
- "An Evaluation of Florida's Program to End Social Promotion" with Jay P. Greene. Forthcoming in David Leal and Kenneth Meier eds., Politics of Latino Education, Teachers College Press.
- “The Effects of Exemptions to Florida’s Test-Based Promotion Policy: Who is Retained? Who Benefits Academically?” with Jay P. Greene. Economics of Education Review, 28(1), pp: 135-142.
- “Revisiting Grade Retention: An Evaluation of Florida’s Test-Based Promotion Policy” with Jay P. Greene. Education Finance and Policy, Vol. 2, Number 4, Fall 2007.
- “Getting Ahead by Staying Behind” with Jay P. Greene. Education Next, Number 2, 2006.
- “Testing High-Stakes Tests: Can We Believe the Results of Accountability Tests?” with Jay P. Greene and Greg Forster, Teachers College Record, Volume 106, Number 6. June 2004.
- “Competition Passes the Test” with Jay P. Greene, Education Next, Summer 2004.
Non-refereed Articles and Book Chapters
- "Student Outcomes and Teacher Productivity and Perceptions in Arkansas", with Gary W. Ritter, Jay P. Greene, and Ryan Marsh in Matthew G. Springer ed.Performance Incentives: Their Growing Impact on American K-12 Education, Brookings Institution Press, 2009.
- “The Effect of Residential School Choice on Public High School Graduation Rates” with Jay P. Greene, Peabody Journal of Education, Volume 81, Issue 1, 2006.
- “La eleccion de las escuelas en Estados Unidos” (School Choice in the United States), in Corvalan, Javier and McMeekin, Robert, eds. Accountability educacional, Centro de Investigacion y Desarrollo de la Educacion, 2006.
Status of Submitted Papers
- "Measuring the Competitive Effect of Charter Schools on Public School Student Achievement in an Urban Environment: Evidence from New York City" Under review as part of a special issue, Economics of Education Review. Expected Publication, Summer 2012.
- "Observed Characteristics and Teacher Quality: Impacts of Sample Selection on a Value Added Model" with Bruce L. Dixon and Jay P. Greene. Revise and Resubmit, Economics of Education Review.
- "Public School Response to Special Education Vouchers" with Jay P. Greene. Revise and Resubmit, Education Evaluation and Policy Analysis.
- "Grading New York: Accountability and Student Proficiency in America's Largest School District" with Josh Cowen. Under Review, Education Evaluation and Policy Analysis.