Leann Wyrick Morgan, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor of Counseling in the Counseling and Human Services Department at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. She holds a B.A. in Communication from Purdue University, M.A. in Human Services and Counseling from DePaul University, and Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision from The University of Northern Colorado. Her primary counseling experience is with adolescents and their families, both in the community and school settings. She is a former School-to-Career Coordinator and Professional School Counselor at Thompson Valley High School in Loveland, CO. She is also a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Colorado, and a National Certified Counselor. She currently serves on the Governing Boards of the Colorado Career Development Association (CCDA), Colorado School Counselor Association (CSCA), and is a former board member of the Colorado Association for Career and Technical Education (CACTE). Her research interests include, career development, postsecondary and workforce readiness, school counseling, supervision, counselor training and accountability, career/life programs for special needs students, working with students of poverty at the middle and high school levels, career planning for college students, and career counseling with military veterans and adults in transition.
Ph.D. Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision: School Counseling
University of Northern Colorado- 2004
M.A with Distinction., Human Services and Counseling: Agencies, Family Concerns and Higher Education
DePaul University - 1995
B.A., Communication: Organizational Leadership and Supervision
Purdue University - 1991
Certification and Licensure
- Licensed Professional Counselor: Colorado
- Licensed School Counselor: Colorado
- National Certified Counselor (NBCC)
COUN 3110 Career Planning
COUN 5100 Theories and Techniques of Group Counseling
COUN 5430 Career Development
COUN 5800 Roles & Functions of School Counselors
- Williams, R. & Morgan, L. (2014). Middle school college and career readiness standards for professional school counselors in Colorado. Denver, CO: Colorado Department of Education.
- Morgan, L. W., Greenwaldt, M.E., & Gosselin, K. P. (2014). School counselors' perceptions of competency in career counseling. The Professional Counselor Volume 4, Issue 5:
- Kolbert, J., Williams, R., Morgan, L.W., Crothers,. L., Hughes, K. (2014). Introduction to Professional School Counseling: Advocacy, Leadership, and Intervention. Rutledge: New York (in press).
- Wyrick-Morgan, L., Gosselin, K.,Moore,B. (2013). In Group Activities to Enhance Counselor Education. Glass, S. & Dotson-Blake, K.(Eds.). Virginia: American Counseling Association
- Morgan, L. (July, 2014). Vim, vigor, and values: How to successfully engage students in their own developmental career decision-making process. Colorado Association for Career and Technical Education Annual Conference. Grand Junction, CO.
- Garcia, K., Morgan, L., & McCarty, J., Birtles, C. (March, 2014). Counseling student outreach: Engaging recent veterans in career development. American Counseling Association Annual Conference. Honolulu, HI.
- Morgan, L., Garrett, J., Flynn, A., & Jones, F. (February, 2014). Colorado middle school college and career readiness standards. Colorado School Counselor Corps Winter Meeting. Colorado Department of Education. Denver, CO.
- Morgan, L. & Jones, L. (October, 2013). School counseling - career and technical education collaborative: A model for counselor education programs. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision National Conference. Denver, CO.
- Morgan, L., McCarty, J. & Garcia, K. (October, 2013). What's next?: Using five-year career maps to reduce burn out among new counselors and counselors-in-training. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision National Conference, Denver, CO.
- Morgan, L. (August, 2013). Counseling student outreach: Engaging recent veterans in career development. Second Mission: Service as a Strategy for Veteran Student Success Conference (roundtable discussion). Denver, CO.
- Szepe, A., Morgan, L., & Medina, B.(March, 2013). Engaging Counselors in Community Needs Following a Natural Disaster. American Counseling Association Annual Conference, Cincinnati,OH.
- Morgan,L. (November, 2012) 'Everybody's doin it!' Academic Dishonesty Among High School Students & What School Counselors Can Do About It! Colorado School Counselor Association Annual Conference, Vail, CO.
- Morgan, L. (November, 2012). Discovering Barriers to Girls Accessing STEM Careers. Colorado School Counselor Association Annual Conference, Vail, CO.
- Morgan, L., McCarty, J. (November, 2012). The Possible Selves Career Interview: Images in Career Development. Colorado Career Development Association Annual Conference, Longmont, CO.
- Morgan, L., & Greenwald, M.E.(October, 2012). 'Can we talk about suicide instead?' School Counselors' Fear and Loathing of Career Counseling: A Call to Action in Counselor Education. Rocky Mountain Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Regional Conference, Park City, UT.
Volunteer and Service
- Chi Sigma Iota Chapter Faculty Adviser
- College of Education Innovations in Technology Committee (College)
- CU System Faculty Council Women's Committee Member
- American Red Cross Disaster Mental Health Volunteer, Waldo Canyon Fire Colorado Springs, CO. June, 2012
State / National
- Colorado Career Development Association, Former Governing Board Member 2013-2014
- Colorado Association of Career & Technical Education, Former Governing Board Member
- CACTE: Guidance & Career Development Division, President Elect
- Colorado Education Task Force Committee Member
- Colorado School Counselor Association Governing Board Member, Vice President Higher Education