Joseph D. Wehrman, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor w/tenure for the Counseling and Human Services program at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. Dr. Wehrman is a former faculty member of The Citadel in Charleston, SC, a former coordinator of the counseling and leadership program, a specialized program in partnership with the United States Air Force Academy, and a former coordinator of the Clinical Mental Health track. He earned his doctorate in Counselor Education and Supervision from The University of South Dakota and his M.S. in Applied Behavior Analysis from St. Cloud State University. He has expertise and a long history of service in the areas of early childhood, child development, and counseling children and families.
Dr. Wehrman has been appointed to the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Board of Directors. NBCC is a national and international credentialing body for professional counselors with approximately 53,000 credential holders. As a board member, Dr. Wehrman works to help influence the counseling profession both domestically and abroad. He is a former member of the Association for Play Therapy Clinical Communications Committee and the American Counseling Association Veterans Affairs Committee. Dr. Wehrman was invited to serve as a visiting faculty member at Universidad Iberoamericana Ciudad de México in Lomas de Santa Fe, Mexico on the topic of play therapy and child trauma.
He has provided humanitarian aid in the United States and internationally. Following the 2004 Asian Tsunami, Dr. Wehrman was selected to travel to Sri Lanka to provide psychological first aid to children and train caregivers and local officials regarding the symptoms of child trauma.
Dr. Wehrman has also worked in countries including Honduras, Kuwait and Iraq. He assisted victims of Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coast region through the American Red Cross Disaster Mental Health Team.
He is a former Medical Service Officer in the United States Military and is a combat veteran. He has received two Board of Regents technology awards and an Outstanding Service Award.
Ph.D., Counselor Education & Supervision
The University of South Dakota - 2004
M.S., Applied Behavior Analysis
St. Cloud State University - 2001
B.S., Psychology & B.S., Sociology
Montana State University - Billings - 1997
COUN 5010 Theories & Techniques of Individual Counseling
COUN 5270 Advanced Techniques in Cadet Counseling
COUN 5300 Lab in Family Counseling
COUN 5410 Measurement & Appraisal
COUN 5550 Theory & Practice of Crisis Counseling, Trauma, and Disaster Work
- Fenell, D. L., & Wehrman, J. D. (2010). Deployment counseling: Supporting military personnel and their families. In J. Weber, D. D. Bass, & R. Yep (Eds.), Terrorism, trauma and tragedies: A counselor's guide to preparing and responding (3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association Foundation.
- Wehrman, J. D., & Fenell, D. L. (2010). Post deployment counseling: Assisting National Guard and Reserve families with reintegration. In J. Weber, D. D. Bass, & R. Yep (Eds.), Terrorism, trauma and tragedies: A counselor's guide to preparing and responding (3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association Foundation.
- Wehrman, J. D. (2010). The counselor's role in domestic and international relief operations. In J. Weber, D. D. Bass, & R. Yep (Eds.), Terrorism, trauma and tragedies: A counselor's guide to preparing and responding (3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association Foundation.
- Wehrman, J. D. (2009). Behavioral counseling. In B.T. Erford (Eds.), ACA Encyclopedia of Counseling. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Williams, G. T., & Wehrman, J. D. (2008). Utilizing the portfolio in career development. In J. Patrick & G. Eliason (Eds.), Career development in the schools. Greenwich, CT: Information Age.
- Wehrman, J. D., Williams, R., Field, J., & Schroeder, S. D. (2010). Accountability through documentation: What are best practices for school counselors? Journal of School Counseling, 8(38). Retrieved from http://www.jsc.montana.edu/articles/v8n38.pdf
- Williams, R., & Wehrman, J. D. (in press). Collaboration and confidentiality: Not a paradox but an understanding between principals and school counselor. NASSP Bulletin, XX(X), 1-14.
- Cheesman, E. A., Winograd, G. R., & Wehrman, J.D. (2010). Clickers in teacher education: Student perceptions by age and gender. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 18(1), 31-51.
- Martinez, S. L., Wehrman, J. D., & Williams, R. (2009) Collaboration: An exercise in systems thinking. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 13(2) 55-60.
- Wehrman, J. D. (2008, June). Mining report: Working with children of military families. Association for Play Therapy. Retrieved from http://www.a4pt.org/download.cfm?ID=25197.
- Wehrman, J. D. (2008, March). Promoting play and caregiver-child interaction: The strategic use of special time. Play Therapy Magazine, 3(1), 14-17.
- Wehrman, J. D. (2007, August). Mining report: Adjustment following war, natural disaster, and crisis. Association for Play Therapy. Retrieved from http://www.a4pt.org/download.cfm?ID=20551.
- Wehrman, J. D. (2005, May). A Sri Lanka experience: Providing relief for wave related fears. Counseling Today, 10-12.
- Board of Directors Member, National Board for Certified Counselors
- Student Achievement & Assessment Committee, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- COE Assessment Committee, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- APT Ethics & Practice Taskforce, Association for Play Therapy
- Clinical Communications Committee, Association for Play Therapy
- Military Veterans Affairs Committee, American Counseling Association
- COE Technology Committee, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Clinical Communications Committee, Association for Play Therapy
- Executive Board Member, South Carolina Counseling Association
- Board of Directors, Youth-Adult Partnership of Aberdeen
- Education Chair, South Dakota Counseling Association
- Ethics Chair, Midwest Region of American Counseling Association
- NSU Campus Liaison for SD Network Against Family Violence & Sexual Assaul
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education & Supervision
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- Association for Play Therapy
- Veterans of Foreign Wars VFW Lifetime Member
Grants & Consultation
- Grant Reviewer, United States Department of Education
- Peer Grant Reviewer, Florida Department of Education & University of Florida
- Grant and Budget Consultant, People Against Rape
- Grant and Budget Consultant, Safe Harbor
Volunteer and Service
- Hurricane Katrina, Disaster Mental Health Team, Sponsor: American Red Cross
- Sri Lanka, Tsunami Relief for Child Victims, Sponsor: Association for Play Therapy
- Iraq & Kuwait, Medical Relief Aid, Sponsor: South Dakota Army National Guard
- Honduras, Medical Relief Aid, Sponsor: South Dakota Army National Guard
- Montana, Forest Fire Relief, Sponsor: Montana Army National Guard