9/11/2015 Approved by the University of Colorado Board of Regents
1/13/2016 Approved by the Colorado State Board of Education
2/5/2016 Approved by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education
New Program-Bachelor of Arts in Inclusive Elementary Education
Come learn to be a teacher for all children with UCCS’s new BA in Inclusive Elementary Education.
B A Teacher. Be Here. Be Inclusive.
New innovative multi-credential teacher education program! Join us at UCCS and become a teacher for all children with a Bachelor of Arts in Inclusive Elementary Education! This degree prepares teachers to utilize universal design, technology, and innovative methods to support the success of all students.
✔ K-6 licensure (K-6)
✔ Endorsement in Special Education Generalist (ages 5-21)
✔ Endorsement in Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education
(more commonly known as English as a Second Language)(K-12).
>>9/11/2015 Communique Article UCCS to offer bachelor's in inclusive elementary education degree
Bachelor of Arts in Inclusive Elementary Education Highlights
- Courses designed to infuse special education and English as a Second Language methods and strategies throughout the program.
- Field experiences early and often allow preservice teachers to apply learning to classroom
- Preservice teachers spend over 800 hours in the field
- Preservice teachers have multiple opportunities to plan lessons, teach, and assess effectiveness of instruction; qualified supervisors provide feedback throughout program
Application Process for Undergraduate Students
Application Timeline: Rolling Admission
Financial Aid Priority filing date is March 1
If you are interested in the program, your first step is to attend an advising session with
Dr. Christi Kasa or Dr. Barbara Frye
To make an initial advising appointment, please contact the UCCS College of Education - Student Resource Office: 719-255-4996 or firstname.lastname@example.org (students should bring a copy of their transcript to this advising session).
During this appointment students will complete a Preparation Plan listing courses needed.
UNDERGRADUATES: Once admitted to the University, your next step is to attend an advising session with a member of the Student Success Center “College of Education Advisor” in Main Hall. In your advising session, you will complete a Preparation Plan listing course work.
The current advisors are:
Please submit all application materials listed below (including transcripts) to the Admissions and Records office, Main Hall, Room 108. Apply Now!
Undergraduate Application Materials:
- Online Freshman Application
- Receipt for $50.00 application fee paid to the UCCS Bursar’s Office.
- Career Goals Statement*
- Needs to address: applicant’s motivation to complete studies successfully, and demonstrates thoughtful consideration toward career planning with examples. Must be well written, organized, and contain no errors in grammar, punctuation, or spelling.
- *Undergraduates may use or build upon Philosophy Statement if part of Introductory Class
- Proof of a background/finger print/child abuse check for admission. (see detailed General Background Check information below)
- Three professional letters of reference (evaluated for relevance and strength). Choose your references carefully. Persons who have been in positions to supervise and/or evaluate your skills are often effective references. Do not ask friends or family members who might be biased.
- Have one official transcript of all academic work ever completed to date, sent from the institution you attended directly (electronically or by postal services) to:
UCCS-Office of Admissions and Records
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway Colorado Springs CO 80918
*if your only transcript is from UCCS, you do not need to request being sent
General Background Check for Admission Required for All Undergraduates and Post Baccalaureate Students
All College of Education applicants must complete a general background check as part of the admissions requirements:
1) Go to website: https://www.cbirecordscheck.com/Index.aspx
2) Click on “Individuals”
3) Pay $6.85
4) Print a copy of the background check and return it to the College of Education Student Resource Office as part of admissions materials (current CO School or agency employees who have already completed a background check for employment may provide a copy of their CO license or background check results).
Exam Requirements: Licensure students must successfully pass the exams listed below prior to beginning Student Teaching. Both exams are required to garner licensure upon graduation from UCCS:
Students must pass both exams prior to entering student teaching.