Notes from What Can I Do With a Minor in Gerontology?

Presented October 22, 2002 by Sara Qualls

4 Industries graduates are working in:


  • Currently there are many jobs similar to physical therapy and occupational therapy that don't require degrees beyond a BA/BS
  • Health promotion
  • Prevention


  • Working in senior apts. or assisted living facilities
  • Becoming a house manager
  • Activities director
  • Social Work in nursing homes a BSW isn't required
  • Marketing to families
  • Administrators (requires state certification)

Social Services-

  • Administering funds for Meals on Wheels, Silver Key, etc.
  • The private sector is now providing services to children of the elderly, where companies might look in on an individual once a month and take them to appointments


  • Becoming court appointed guardians
  • Family mediation for guardianship

Skills a graduate would obtain:

  • Interviewing
  • Planning/organizing programs
  • Documentation
  • How organizations function
  • Assessment


$17,000 - $25,000 starting up to $50,000

Certification Programs

The regular minor for certification best serves a student currently enrolled as an undergrad. There's another 2 semester evening certification program that's best for people who are already in the profession but want more training.