After the Interview
- Send a thank-you note
Salary Negotiation - Hints
- Don't feel obligated to accept the first salary offer. Negotiate salary if the offer made is inadequate.
- Don't just focus on salary. Do look at the entire compensation package.
- Do try to obtain other concessions (shorter review time, better title, better workspace) or benefits (bonuses, vacation time) if you aren't successful at negotiating a salary you want.
Possible Reasons for Rejection
- Lack of interest and enthusiasm; passive and indifferent
- "Know it all" attitude
- Inability to express oneself clearly -- poor voice, diction, grammar
- Lack of planning for career; no purpose and goals
- Poor research prior to interview
- Lack of confidence and poise; nervousness; ill at ease
- Over emphasis on money
- Poor scholastic record
- Unwilling to start at the bottom
- Making excuses; evasiveness; hedging on unfavorable factors in record
- Lack of tact
- Lack of courtesy; ill mannered
- Condemnation of past employers
- Lack of vitality
- Failing to look interviewer in the eye
- Limp, fishy handshake
- Poor personal appearance