Establishing the campus trail system is possible due to the time dedicated, and hands-on assistance provided by students, faculty/staff and members of the community. Help is needed to complete necessary work in remote areas of the campus trail system, and interested individuals can volunteer on particular dates throughout the year.
Volunteer dates for Fall 2015 will be posted soon.
What to expect on volunteer day
- Meet at the Campus Recreation Outdoor Cetner, also known as SOLE, for coffee and a light breakfast
- Distribution and discussion of the tools and equipment necessary for the day will follow breakfast
- Depending on the location, the hike to the location in need of work could be 10-30 minutes on uneven terrain
- The work necessary can range in technical difficulty, varying from spreading seed and raking to building rock steps. If technical difficulty is a concern, contact Andrea Hassler in advance at 719-255-7508 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lunch and plenty of water to refill water bottles provided on site
- Group returns to SOLE before 4pm to debrief. There will be an option for a group hike or bike ride at the end of the work day for those interested in participating.
Bring the following on volunteer day
- 1-2 water bottles
- Wear LONG pants. No shorts
- Wear STURDY shoes. No sandals or flip-flops
- Layers for varying weather, e.g. long sleeve shirt, fleece/sweatshirt, jacket and hat
- Optional: snacks, small backpack, personal work gloves
Have an academic class, university department, student organization/club, or fraternity/sorority group who wants to volunteer? Contact Andrea Hassler, Trails Coordinator at 719-255-7508 or email@example.com to coordinate a day and time that works for your group.