The third annual UCCS Ethics Initiative Ethics Essay Contest attracted a total of 43 essays from several colleges across the UCCS campus. The Ethics Essay contest gives students an opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of principle based ethics and how they would apply it towards a real time ethical situation. The overall level of excellence was the highest the contest has seen. From this incredible group of essays we are happy announce the following winners:
· First place goes to Laura Ander (Junior) winning the $1,000 grand prize.
· Second place is awarded to Jason Raak (Senior) and he will receive $750.
· Third place is awarded to Kylee Smit (Junior) and she will receive $500.
Due the high level of excellence, 3 Honorable Mentions along with a $100 award will go to Frank Gahren (Senior), Wesley Noble (Junior), and Meral Sarper (Senior). Additionally, gift cards to the UCCS Bookstore will go to Amanda Kaiser (Senior), Steven Mauser (Senior), Kaitlin Nelson (Senior), and Jessica Placzek (Junior) for their thoughtful efforts.
Essays were judged by a team of community business members and highlights from the comments from our judges included:
· “Excellent understanding of the ethical situation while providing the approach, remedy, resolution and follow-up.”
· “Really understood the situation and had a great voice as the writer on the topic.”
· “Very powerful personal story.”
· “Very mature and great self-examination.”
We would like to acknowledge all those that entered the contest and thank them for their efforts.