Statement Addressing How to Report a Crime or Emergency on Campus

Crimes and Emergencies

For life threatening emergencies, please call 9-1-1 from a campus phone or 9-1-1 from a non-campus phone or personal cell phone. To report a crime through the non-emergency number, contact UCCS PD at (719) 255-3111.

University Police Communications Center is not a 911 center. Campus cell phone users, who dial 9-1-1, will be directly connected to the Colorado Springs Police 9-1-1 center. Through the mutual agreement with Colorado Springs Police, efforts will be coordinated to dispatch University Police to the caller’s or incident location. The University Communications Center has an “echo” system in place for calls placed from campus phones to 9-1-1. In this case, University Police dispatchers will receive notification of where the call is being placed from and dispatch University Police to the location.

The first response to report a campus crime should be to contact UCCS PD at (719) 255-3111. If you are not comfortable contacting UCCS PD, you may contact a Campus Security Authority (CSA).  CSA's are campus staff, faculty and students whose job functions make them significantly responsible for students and student activities. Sometimes victims and witnesses of a crime are hesitant to talk to a police officer. The Clery Act requires all institutions to collect crime reports from a variety of individuals to assist in reporting crime statistics accurately. CSA's are not investigators of crimes, they do not categorize crimes; CSA's help collect crime report information for UCCS. CSA's have an important function to immediately forward reports of crime to UCCS Police. This is because a CSA report may be the basis for determining if there is a serious or continuing threat to the safety of our campus. Some examples of CSA's include: Residence Life and Housing Professional Staff or Resident Assistants, Dean of Students, Health Center, Recreation Center, Athletics, Student Success, ROTC, FDC, Club Advisors, and Public Safety.

University Police want the campus community to report any suspicious activities such as persons seen loitering around vehicles, buildings, or residential halls. Crimes and suspicious activities that occur off campus can be reported to the Colorado Springs Police Department at (719) 444-7000.


If you have a traffic accident on campus or in one of the campus parking lots, call the UCCS Police Department at 719-255-3111. Traffic accidents are defined as unintentional damage or injury caused by the movement of a motor vehicle.


The UCCS PD responds to all reports of crimes and suspicious activities that occur on campus and other properties owned, operated or under the control of  UCCS. UCCS PD is generally the first to respond to any emergency or call for service. The CSPD respond to crimes reported elsewhere in the city. However, the University Police Department and the City of Colorado Springs Police Department have a close working relationship and may coordinate
their responses to crimes as appropriate.

Officers respond to crime reports as appropriate using state and municipal laws as guidelines. These officers decide to detain, arrest, or merely warn offenders based on established standards of criminal or constitutional law. UCCS Police officers write reports on all law violations; administration uses the reports to compile daily, monthly, and yearly statistics for the FBI's Uniform Crime Report. UCCS Police officers also review and investigate reports of old or "cold" crimes.

Statement Encouraging Accurate and Prompt Crime Reporting
Colorado Revised Statutes, 18-8-115, "Duty to Report a Crime" requires all persons who believe a crime has been committed to report promptly the suspected crime to law enforcement authorities.

To report a crime contact University Police at (719) 255-3111, or 3111 (from a campus phone), or use the emergency call boxes located in parking lots and some buildings, or report in person to the police located in the UCCS Public Safety building, attached to the parking garage.

UCCS encourages anyone who is the victim or witness to any crime to accurately and promptly report the incident to University Police, even when the victim of a crime elects not to or is unable to make such a report. Reporting a crime provides accurate and complete statistical reports and aids in providing timely warning notices to the community, when appropriate. Faculty, staff, and students who are considered to be Campus Security Authorities are required to forward any report of a crime on campus to the University Police for further investigation. Reporting an incident to a campus CSA also assists campus Police in capturing statistics when the victim of a crime elects or is unable to make a report. Incidents reported to University Police that fall into one of the required reporting classifications will be disclosed as a statistic in this annual publication. All student organizations leasing or are in control of off-campus space must report to the university sponsor any criminal activity that occurs off campus. A copy of those reports involving criminal activity must be filed with the University Police for inclusion in the Annual Safety and Security Report.

Timely reports allow for timely response and eventually a safer campus. DO YOUR PART, REPORT!

Violence Free Campus.

UCCS does not tolerate behavior, whether direct or indirect, that is violent, threatens violence, harasses or intimidates others, or is disruptive to the work or educational environment or UCCS's ability to provide services to the public ("Violent Behavior"). Violent behavior can include: physical acts, oral or written statements (including emails, text messages, and postings on social media sites), gestures, or expressions. Individuals who engage in violent behavior may be excluded from campus or campus events, and may be subject to disciplinary action including suspension, dismissal, or termination from employment. All UCCS Faculty, Staff, Students and Administrators are responsible to abide by UCCS Violence Free Campus policy: http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/vcaf/policies/100-007ViolenceFreeCampusRev10412.pdf. This policy prohibits violent behavior in the UCCS campus community and provides procedures to follow in reporting violent behavior, concerns about situations which could become violent and reporting discrimination and harassment. To report emergency or life-threatening violent behavior, emerging or potential threats occurring on campus, call the UCCS Department of Public Safety by dialing (719) 255-3111. Anonymous reports of violent behavior may be made through CU Ethicspoint. This third-party service can be reached by calling (800) 677-5590 or online at https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/en/report_custom.asp?clientid=14973 . Do not use this site to report events presenting an immediate threat to life or property. Reports submitted through this service may not receive an immediate response.